Monday, 24 January 2011

Caledonian Uprising 2011 (Day 2)

Fresh faced ... well more fresh than a lot of the other people who'd starting drinking at 7pm I rolled into Maelstrom gaming centre ready for Day 2.

Game 4: Capture and Control / Dawn of War vs Space Wolves (again)
Different opponent this time, but Phil's army had some similiarities to the army I'd face in Game 1. Unit of Longfangs with missile Launchers, Grey Hunters in rhinos but this time some rather scary looking blokes on giant wolves and a Landraider. I always fear landraiders becuase the usually come full of close combat terminators, so i was slightly relieved to find that alothugh full of close combat troops they were only in power armour. Still a Landraider is a scary prospect to crack open. The with night fight part of dawn of war the first turn was pretty uneventful. Turn 2 and the space wolves were encoaching towards my objective so i risked a deep strike by my terminators far into his side of the board. The gamble paid off as a chunk of his attack force broke off to deal with the newly arrived threat to his left flank. They made pretty short work of them, but had left a largely undefend route for my demon princes to sneak onto the objective. As turn 4 started the Space Wolves desided to play for the draw and everything started to retreat towards his objective. I pushed forward throwing more Demons, Beserkers and Demon Princes into the wall of first vehicles then a wall of men. The player, clearly now only after a draw was packing the area of his ojective with troops to prevent my demon princes leaping the wall of armour and contesting the ojective. More was thrown at the defenders but sadly the game ended after only 5 turns and we couldn't break through. Meanwhile 8 Beserkers in a rhino had been happily parked on my objective for 5 turns with nothing to do, bored out of their minds.

Result: Draw, 10 Tournament points

Game 5: Seize Ground / Spearhead vs Daemons
Never faced daemons so wasn't sure what to expect. Opponent walked me through the army and the dread started to rise. Then during the pre-game chat he mentioned he was ranked 4th in the UK at 40k .... crap. The demons deep striked in all around my table 1/4 and slowly advanced. His great unclean one died to my Terminator's Melta guns and power weapons and it looked a promising start. Then the fiends of Slaneesh hit. 6 attacks on the charge, Str 5 with rending. It was brutal. My demon princes and Obliterators did a sterling job, chewing things up in close combat or shooting his soul grinders, but by 4 it was fairly obvious I was going to be tabled. My Rhino's headed for the hill to try to get away and one of my demon princes made 6 armour and 2 invulnerable saves to last through a nasty round of combat but in turn 5 he popped my last rhino to wipe me out. I had manage to account for half his army, but as a wipe out he got the full 20 points.

No photo's as I forgot to take any as my boys were massacred

Result Loss, 0 Tournament points

Game 6: Annihilation / Pitched Battle vs Space Marines
The classic last batle for a tournament, not messing around holding a troop choice back to guard a token, just full on killing. After a slight swap in opponent so two club mate could face each other I ended up against Walt. The chap who'd got me to come to the tournament in the first place. Seemed a fitting way to end it. My army was performing in mixed batches with certain elements having a shocker of a game while others worked, it had never fully gelled, until now. Terminators deep struck next to the Landraider and popped it with a perfect melta volley. Obliterators raked Landspeeders with twin linked plasma death, Beserkers chewed up marines in power armour and Terminator armour and a daemon prince with daemon assistance chewed through 2 predators. It was a scene of classic Khorne inspired carnage. One of my Daemon princes did have the bright idea to charge into 3 razorback with squad in who were parked in the opposite corner on his own and got cut down for his stupidity, but other than that Khorne look down favourably on his minions in this game. By the end we didn't bother to tot up the kill points as it was fairly obvious that the minions of Chaos had beaten the children of the corpse god, and beaten them hard.


Result Win, 17 Tournament points



When the final results were posted I was place 53rd out of 80, I was a little disapointed to not be more mid table but I'd lost 12 points for not being classed as detail painted. I don't know if they objected to my whole painting or just a couple of models which had stuff missing, I know a couple of the wolf belts hanging from swords are still black so that might be the issue. Gonna have to touch them up before the Grand Tournament at the end of March.

Walt placed one position above me and Gill placed one position below me. Overall the weekend was a lot of fun and no where near as beardy as i had feared, although I didn't face any of the nasty guard armies with lots of vendettas and Hydra and I counted at least 6 there.

No comments:

Post a Comment