Sunday, 31 July 2011

Experiments in World Eaters



So I've been experimenting with my World Eaters to try to get a better army list. Based on the results of Toy Soldier I've realised that;-
  • Rhinos are a little too crunchy without something bigger to draw fire from them.
  • Daemon Princes are good but do tend to get shot up as they try to cross the board.
  • Need to try to seperate my no armour save attacks away from the mass of normal attacks when Beserkers charge.
Chaos appears to really struggle with long range firepower, it's probably not something easy to remedy, but I need to make sure I still have some to take care of Tanks. My initial thoughts are as follows;-


Chaos Lord, Mark of Khorne, Pair of Lightning claws, Melta Bombs.
8 Khorne Beserkers, Champion with Power Fist, Icon, Rhino with Extra Armour
8 Khorne Beserkers, Champion with Power Fist, Icon, Rhino with Extra Armour
8 Khorne Beserkers, Champion with Power Fist, Icon, Rhino with Extra Armour
5 Chaos Space Marines, Icon of Chaos, Plasma Gun
3 Terminators, 3 Combi Melta, Powerfirst
5 Raptors with 2 Meltaguns
Predator with Autocannon and Heavy Bolters

I tried this army against a friend's Space Marines, not the most competive list, it did feature two Landraiders of his own, but sadly once again the Chaos come of second best are Imperial Landraiders can fire two weapons on the move, have more options and little price difference. I do wish they GW would address this as several options in the CSM codex are more expensive than EXACTLY the same model in a SM armour or have an added disadvantage (see Chaos Dreadnoughts). Anyway down to the game. It was Seize ground with three objectives and Pitched Battle deployment.

Chaos Deployment
I won the roll and decided to go first. I normally choose to go second if I win but I'm begining to think first is better as it gives my tanks a 12" roll before the risk of being shot. I deployed mostly on the right flank (the 3 objectives were on this half of the board.).  Beserker packs in the vehicles, Five man marine squad following up behind one Landraider and the Predator on the flank. Already with hindsight mistakes have been made. The Predator is badly positioned as the forest infront of it blocks a lot of it's LOS, or at the minimum gives targets a cover save. Then agains hindsight is a wonderful thing.








Imperial Deployment
Stu deployed along the full board length. His army features a lot of Las Cannons and I was worried for my Landraiders survival. Two tactical squads have combated down, Five with the Lascannons in the ruin, the remaining five in the razorbacks.

The first couple of turns were largely uneventful. I drove the majority of my tanks forward hoping to get closer to the enemy before they were popped. This issue I have with Chaos Landraiders is the lack of machine spirit equivalent, we used to have one but it's another thing that GW randomly got rid of. It means that if I choose to roll 12" forward I can't fire any weapons. As it was one only rolled forward 6" and took a pot shot at a Predator, but only shook it. Likewise the Marine's first turn was largely uneventful. They fire several shots into my Landraiders but only managed to shake one of them. With no real casualties on either side we moved into turn two.

After Movement in Turn 2
Neither of my reserves turned up this turn, which was actually useful as I had no icons close to the main vehicle threats yet, hopefully they'd turn up in turn three when they could land and take out a Landraider or Predator. My Landraider drove forward and disembarked it's cargo of Beserkers and Lord into the ruins with the tactical squad Lascannon. Shaken from the previous turn the Landraider could do little but deliver it's troops into the heart of the enemy. On the far side the second Landraider drove forward and popped smoke to try to outlast the firing from Stu's godhammer. The combat was a short and bloody affair with the death of the five marines sealed quickly, however it did uncover another issue. The Lord's lightning claw attacks were offset by all the other I 5 attacks from the Berserkers, as it happened it didn't matter, but I think I'll swap to I+1 rather than A+1 from the marks, as this means he attacks on his own maximising the damage he can do. However this had left the Beserkers dangerously on their own surrounded by Landraiders, Predators and Attack bikes.
 In Stu's turn two I was introduced to the horror of the flamestorm cannon, at St6 AP3 it rips through marines easily and 5 of my Berserkers were engulfed in a wash of fiery death. On the far side his Godhammer punched through the smoke screen surrounding my Landraider and wrecked it, forcing the Beserkers to evacuate. The remaining fire only managed to kill one of their number as they lined up on the other 5 man squad with a lascannon in the ruins.
End of Chaos Turn 3

Turn three we extracted a modicum of revenge. The Beserker pack overran the 5 man squad on the right flank, whilst the 2 remaining Berserkers charged one Predator and the Lord split off to charge the other, the Landraider (once again shaken from a long range snipe from his Godhammer) drove over the objective to stop his Landraider from getting those nasty flamestorm cannons too close. However my reserves were still failing to turn up and I was sorely missing their Melta weapons.The firing phase was rapidly becoming something only Stu's army had as most of my range stuff was either still in reserves or being constantly shaken. The assults were all fairly one sided, my Lord's meltabomb blew up the tripple Lascannon Predator, the Beserkers managed to Immobilise and destroy 2 weapons off the other Predator, whilst the larger Beserker pack killed the tactical combat squad with the Lascannon.

In Stu's turn his firing was largely blocked by my tanks. He did gun down the 5man team that had set up camp in the woods at the bottom of the photos which contained an objective. He also blew up my Predator, which to be honest hadn't had a major impact on the game. He also moved one of his Razorbacks up to the 3rd objective near the centre building and disembarked a five man tactical squad. 

End of Chaos turn 4
At the start of turn 4 my terminators finally decided to turn up, but still no sign of the Raptors. The plan this turn was simple. The Terminators would use their melta weapons to destroy the Landraider, my Landraider would shoot a couple of the thunderhammer terminators contained inside and then the beserkers would charge them to finish them off. It would have worked fine if the Terminators had kept up their end of the plan. Three melta shots and I didn't even get a glance. The Landraider tried too, but couldn't get through the armour. At this point the waiting Beserkers made a tactical withdraw, because frankly that flamestorm cannon is scary!  In his turn Stu started the mop up exercise, the flame cannon still got a few of the Beserkers, whilist his terminator disembarked and killed mine.
End of Chaos Turn 5
In Turn five the raptors finally turned up. There shooting was more useful as they immobilised the Landraider, at least this would stop it from flamestorming much more. I made another mistake this turn, see those two Beserkers hiding by the side of the Landraider trying to get cover, why didn't I re-embark them ??? Anyway, the other Beserkers charged the Razorback, but this was merely a stall as I knew the Terminators were going to wpipe them out.

Sure enough in Stu's turn five my Beserkers were cut down by thunder hammers. The game was pretty much over at this point as Stu was firmly in conrol of 1 objective and winning the fights on the other two. The game did last another two turns but it was mostly just mopping up my men.

In the end I lost 2 - 0 on objectives. Still it was a fun game with much food for thought.


Thoughts;-
  • The Beserkers still lack a certain amount of staying power, as my main troop choices they tend to get wittled down in combats and I can easily end up not having the resource to take objectives by the end of the game.
  • I'm going to move to I+1 on my Lord as it seperates his attacks from the Beserker pack he runs with.
  • Stu uses a lot of mech in his army, which is what you often see at tournament too, the beserkers did struggle with tragets after they'd overwhelmed the few squads that started out of transports, I need to make sure that I pop open transports quickly to give them a target.


Some questions I have to answer.
  • On the Landraiders, Extra Armour or Daemonic Possession?  Although it drops the BS to 3 it does mean that I will be reliably firing 1 weapon and since they're twin linked should still generall hit. My survivng Landraider spent a lot of the game not being able to fire, so the possession would have let it have a pop shot at people.
  • One Chaos lord or 2? I could easily fit another Chaos lord into the mix, I'm think that if both Landraiders contained Beserkers and a Lord it would give them both added punch. I am also considering switching to Daemon weapon rather than Claws. With the Mark of Slaneesh it means only +D6 extra attacks so less chance of a backlash, plus it will instant kill. 
My next tournament is a  1800pts one in Warhammer world at the start of September and then a 2 day 1750pts one in Warrington. I'm hoping to get a lot more practise in before those.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment