Saturday, 5 November 2011

A Year in review - 2011

So I started this year with my first ever 'real' tournaments for quite a while. I used Chaos Space Marines exclusively, most because I've not got another painted army. This year I've attended;-

Caledonia Uprising
Vapnatak
Yorkshire Open
UK 40K GT
Toy Soldier
Yorkshire Store Tournament
Northern Warlords

The results have been mixed. Now i don't view myself as an imba player, I'm not going to win a tournament anytime soon, what I aim for is to be in the top half of the ranks and win at least a couple of the games I play. My worst result was Vapnatak, my army was badly designed and I face a succession of Blood Angel armies ( the new codex on the block at the time) and Mehpiston twice in 4 games. I finished 40 of 43 with only a single draw to my name and it really was a low point in the year. The highlight was Northern Warlords, where I finished 11th from a field of about 60 players. I found a CSM combination which I seem to work well with, even if it was a fairly defensive and Abaddon was a total crotch in the army. I still think the CSM codex is badly in need of re-writing, many of the new codex have rendered it pretty poor. Khorne Beserkers, once the terror of the battlefield, are being beaten easily in close combat by most of the newer codex now, and with no psychic defense they really struggle.  All said though I'm currently #60 on the Ranking HQ lists which isn't bad.

For 2012 I'm think a mix of CSM and another army, Tyranids. Yes once again I'm moving onto a codex just as it's on the decline and most opponent are considered a "bad match up" so I don't expect to do amazingly. The current army list I'm considering for Caledonia is

Swarmlord
Tyranid Prime
Tervigon with Toxin sacs, adrenal glands and Catalyst
5 Warriors with rending claws and talons in a spore
12 Termagaunts with devourers in a spore
10 Genestealers with Toxin sacs
10 Genestealers with Toxin sacs
10 Genestealers with Toxin sacs
3 Hive Gaurd
3 Hive Gaurd
The Doom in a spore

It's first outing wasn't promising, against Grey Knights and I was slaughtered badly. I need to protect my big guys better but even then Grey Knights were putting out a lot of firepower. The Doom was the only real highlight doing some damage before being dragged down.

I'm already booked onto 4 tournaments in 2012, so we'll see how it goes. hopefully there's a new CSM codex on it's way in the summer of 2012 which will allow them to make a return to the gaming tables in a more competative way.

No comments:

Post a Comment