Saturday, 1 September 2012

Black Templars, can they cut it in 6th edition?

I'm having a bit of loss of faith with the Black Templars. I've had a few more games of 6th edition and I'm not liking what I see.

6th edition has seen some advances for the BTs. We no longer have to fire at the closest target, plus Terminators got a lot harder in CC with power weapons no longer penetrating our 2+ armour. But there's been more downsides.

Tank hunter got worse, we no longer get preferred enemy but the biggest issue I see is the new boys on the block, flyers. I've played a couple of games against them and they rip the Black Templars a new one, especially Vendettas. What I don't know is how the tournament meta has developed. Are flyers the common army? will i be facing 3+ flyer in most games? I don't know how good the weapon payload on other flyers, but 3 Lascannons on a vehicle that can barely be touched with firing is impossible to deal with.

I'd like to keep the core of the Black Templar army
HQ1: Emperor's Champion (90), Abhor the Witch (20)  - 110pts
HQ2: Marshal (80),  Terminator Armour (25),Adamantine Mantle (35), Chainfist (30), Stormshield (15), Tank Hunter (3), Bionics - 193pts
HQ3: Sword Brethren Terminator Squad, 4 Terminators (160), 2 Assault Cannons (40), Tank Hunters (12) - 212pts
Elite1: Sword Brethren Terminator Squad, 5 Terminators (200), 2 Assault Cannons (40), Tank Hunters (15) - 255pts
Elite2: Sword Brethren Terminator Command Squad, 5 Terminators (200), 2 Cyclone Missile Launchers (50) Tank Hunter(15) - 265pts
Elite2: Sword Brethren Terminator Command Squad, 5 Terminators (200), 2 Cyclone Missile Launchers (50) Tank Hunter(15) - 265pts
Troop1: Crusader Squad, 5 Initiates (80), Plasma Gun (6), LasCannon (15) - 101pts
Troop2: Crusader Squad, 5 Initiates (80), Plasma Gun (6), LasCannon (15) - 101pts
Troop3: Crusader Squad, 5 Initiates (80), Plasma Gun (6), LasCannon (15) - 101pts
 
This all come in at 1618 pts leaving me 232pts spare. My dilemma is can i use this to make Black Templars usable? Options I've considered are

Adding in a Guard detachment. For the 232 points I can get a platoon a HQ a smattering of Autocannons. These up the number of  Troop choices I've got but still have no reliable way to deal with flyer, and would require a monumental painting effort between now and the 22nd Sept!

Option 2 is maybe an Ageis defense line and Quad gun for anti flyer, but surely the enemy just targets the gun with all their first round firing and destroys it before his flyers arrive? I'm not sure how reliable it is at anti-flyer warfare. The remaining points would like go on some more troops.

Ignore flyer, accept that any heavy flyer army will kick my ass and hope my tournament isn't spoiled by flyer after flyer after flyer and pad out the army with a couple more troop choices

I've got 3 weeks to decide (less if I go for option 1 as I need to start painting straight away) and I'm very undecided. Why couldn't GW have just recodexed the Chaos Space Marines by now?


2 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    i am currently looking at other peoples' thoughts about BT in 6th edition because i am very tempted to make them my next new army project. Having fielded a 4000+ points army of White Scars for most of 5th ed., i am trying to get something out of the BT codex and the v1 FAQ.
    Right off the top of my head, i'd say that's a pretty solid list you have there. IF it'd still be 5th ed., that is. I think MSU may well be a valid build, but you don't profit from many new features of 6th. Right now, i'm looking at beefy, 15+IC, units for my army. Charging right out of 2-3 crusaders and into where the fighting is thickest. The BT scream MELEE at me and i'm all into cc builds right now. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My main issue is the limitation as the models I've got. BT do seem to have some good Melee options. I'd be tempted to run Thundernators with Chaplain and a couple of large squads with ICs. You'll still have an issue with flyers and I think that variable charge ranges and overwatch could scuper a CC army if it's not careful.

      Delete