Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Caledonia Uprising 2013 - Game 2



Game2

Emperor’s Will & Relic \ Dawn of War vs Matt Edmonds [Daemons]
I found myself on table two facing off against a pure screamer flamer spam list. The mission was a combination of the two rulebook missions where there were three objectives on the board each worth three VPs and the centre one could be picked up and carried. Matt was using the current Daemon net list that people are scared of (me included)

HQ1: Fate Weaver (333) Soul Devourer(-) Master of Sorcery(-) We are Legion(-) Breath of Chaos(-) Daemonic Gaze(-) Boon of Mutation(-) Bolt of Tzeentch(-)
HQ2: Blue Scribes (130) Master of Sorcery(-) We are Legion(-) Warpfire(-) Breath of Chaos(-) Daemonic Gaze(-) Boon of Mutation(-) Bolt of Tzeentch(-) Pavane of Slaanesh(-) Aura of Decay(-)
ELITES1: 8 Flamers of Tzeentch(184) Warpfire(-) Breath of Chaos(-)
ELITES2: 8 Flamers of Tzeentch(184) Warpfire(-) Breath of Chaos(-)
ELITES3: 6 Flamers of Tzeentch(138) Warpfire(-) Breath of Chaos(-)
TROOPS1: 7 Plaguebearers of Nurgle(105) Chaos Icon(25) Plague sword(-)
TROOPS2: 5 Plaguebearers of Nurgle(90) Plague sword(-)
TROOPS3: 5 Plaguebearers of Nurgle(90) Plague sword(-)
TROOPS4: 5 Plaguebearers of Nurgle(90) Plague sword(-)
FAST1: 7 Screamers of Tzeentch(175) Lamphrey's Bite(-)
FAST2: 7 Screamers of Tzeentch(175) Lamphrey's Bite(-)
FAST3: 7 Screamers of Tzeentch(175) Lamphrey's Bite(-) 

 There really was nothing subtle about this army and it all hinged on the flamers and screamers doing their damage whilst the plague bearers hid near objectives. In theory I had to torrent these units off the board, overcoming their 5++ and 4++ save, often with rerolls due to Fateweaver. I also had to watch out for Fateweaver and the Scribes getting too close to my monstorous creatures and attempting to turn them into spawns. I really can’t pass a toughness six test to save my life when it comes to this power, as previous experience at Blog Wars had shown me.

Matt won the roll off and as usual for Daemons made me take first turn. I deployed in as large a footprint as I could whilst protecting my big guys to prevent them being targeted first turn. Relatively certain he wouldn’t attempt to seize I did leave gaps in front of my Tervigons for them to spawn into. Sure enough Marr didn’t attempt to seize and so I just spread out some more, producing more Gaunts and ensuring that my Tyrants could swoop whilst still remaining in the heart of the swarm. Matt got his preferred wave of all the Flamers, Fateweaver a unit of screamers and a unit of plague bearers. The first to land were the Plague Bearers, they targeted an objective close to an in-passable terrain feature and with luck the first unit scattered onto the building and then died due to the mishap. Next to land was Fateweaver and then a unit of flamers, which did so without issue. However the second unit of flamers misshaped again, this time scattering into the swarm footprint. I chose to position them over 18” away on the opposite flank from Fateweaver and inside a forest and the terrain struck again, taking a wound off one of them. The Screamers turbo boosted and killed some Gaunts as too did some firing from flamers and Fateweaver.

Turn two and only my Devourer Gaunts arrived from reserves, which was a shame as the daemons were fairly packed together around Fateweaver. The Tyrants broke off from the pack to target Flamer units and the Gaunts landed to add their firepower into the screamers and flamers. However Matt’s dice were on fire and he was rolling huge numbers of 5++ and 4++ saves even before getting rerolls for Fateweaver. My firepower pretty much just bounced off the Daemons killing very little. This was going to be a frustrating game. Matt’s warlord trait was to reroll reserve dice and he used it to keep the remaining Plague Bearers in reserve whilst bringing in the other units. The firing phase was pretty much the same Flamers shot and screamers turbo boasted killing mostly the Gaunt screen around my main battle lines, but I was running out of bodies and one of my Tervigons had already run out.

Turn three and the Doom! made an appearance … and promptly scattered off the board and died, not a good start. The Tyrants switched to hunt his troop choices, the warlord had to fly across the board towards where the plague bearers were hiding, but the second one got a unit it its sights and in one combined round of firing from him and the remnants of the Gargoyles and Devourer armed Gaunts deleted a unit. However the defense around my home objective was crumbling fast, my Tervigon and two units of Gaunts charge two separate Screamer units trying to pin them in combat and prevent them from turbo boosting over more units. The Tervigon relying on his iron arm enhanced toughtness to stop the Screamers from wounding whilst the Gaunts were just fodder. Matts turn was brutal. The flamer unit on my left flank which had misshaped on their arrival finally made it to my battle line and burnt away the Gaunt screen defending the Biovores, however it was the centre where I really suffered. My warlord was grounded by Fateweaver’s firing and then the flamers opened fire with their assault weapons and killed him. The Tevigon continued to fight but the Gaunts were being whittled away, they needed support!

Turn four and the game was rapidly slipping away from me. I’d lost one of my major threats in the form of my Warlord and was being assaulted on all sides. Determined to continue the plan to at least force a draw I targeted the remaining Plague Bearer unit on the board (the last one was still in reserves). My Tyrant fired and only managed to kill a couple, the Gargoyles fired ineffectively and then charged the unit. Back in the centre my pair of Zoanthropes charged into the combat with the screamers who were fighting only Gaunts. One had Iron arm the other warp speed making for a fairly odd combat unit, majority toughness 6 with a 3++ save should see them stick around for a while.  Matt continue to press home his advantage, his Flamer unit on my left burnt out the Biovores and swept inward towards the small unit of Gaunts and Hive Guard defending my home objective. The scribes and Fateweaver continued to target the other Tyrant, determined to bring him down or turn him into a spawn, luckily to no affect this turn. The Plague bearers beat off the Gargoyles and move back towards his home objective. Meanwhile the last remaining unit of Plague Bearers had arrived from reserve, almost misshaped when they attempted to land near the relic but were not running to secure to middle objective.

Turn Five, with luck the last turn of the game and I’d avoid being tabled. The Tyrant fired on the remaining Plague Bearers but only managed to reduce the unit down to two models. The Gaunts fighting in the centre were all but wiped out, but the Tervigon and Zoanthropes were holding their own. It was pretty much down to combat, my 2nd Tervigon charged into the Screamers because it was safer in there than outside when the 3rd screamer pack could fly by and the flamers get to him.  In Matt’s turn he charged in the last of his screamers into the Zoanthrope as between them they’d now almost totally seen off the first unit of screamers. The combat raged on and both Zoanthropes were reduced to a single wound. The plague bearers couldn’t make it to the relic in their movement phase and were forced to run onto it, meaning they didn’t have control. If it could end now it would be a 5 -15 loss, if it carried on it would only get worse, possibly even resulting in me getting tabled. So of course we rolled a turn six.

Turn six was fairly fast. In my turn one of the Tervigons perished, in Matt’s turn the Zoanthropes died, but at the end of Turn six we rolled and the game ended. I had a single Tervigon on two wounds and that was it, but because I’d scored first blood from the mishap and Matt hadn’t been able to get a troop choice onto my objective it was only an 2 – 18 loss. I was happy not to have been tabled, but I was sliding back down the ladder.

No comments:

Post a Comment