Friday, 1 February 2013

Caledonia Uprising 2013 - Game 5




Game5
Big Guns never tire \ Hammer and Anvil vs. Steven Henderson [Daemons]

Game six and I was still in the higher tables, which I was fairly pleased about. I hadn’t faced a Necron army yet, which given the 17 at the tournament and the fact they were mostly at the top tables I was a little surprised about. However it was not to be and my final opponent for Caledonia was Steven who I’d actually play a couple of months ago at Blog Wars IV. That time he had narrowly beat me by a single VP and so this time I was out for blood. He was using a Daemon army, but it was a mix of flying circus and the flamer spam.

HQ1 - Fateweaver, Oracle of Tzeentch
Elite1 – 6 xFlamers of Tzeentch
Elite2 – 6 xFlamers of Tzeentch
Elite3 – 6 xFlamers of Tzeentch
Troop1 5 x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch
Troop2 5 x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch
Troop3 5 x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch
Troop4 5 x Plaguebearers of Nurgle
Troop5 5 x Plaguebearers of Nurgle
Fast1 5 x Screamers of Tzeentch
Heavy1 Daemon Prince, Daemon Breath of Chaos, Daemonic Flight, Iron Hide
Heavy2 Daemon Prince, Daemon Breath of Chaos, Daemonic Flight, Iron Hide
Heavy3 Daemon Prince, Daemonic Flight, Iron Hide

Not so many screamer units and the flamer units were a little smaller than my second round opponent, it was also missing the Bloodthirster HQ which normally characterises the flying circus, still Fateweaver and three flamer units could cause me issues.

Steven won the roll for first turn and in typical daemon style gave me first turn. I deployed in the usual large footprint and in my turn spread out and spawned more Gaunts. I left my Tyrants in reserve this time as I had got the reroll reserves for my Warlord trait so was fairly happy that a 2+ with reroll should mean all my reserves would arrive on turn two. I had forgotten how agreesive Steven is with his deepstrikes in Blog Wars and he was again, two of the flamer units attempted to land behind my army close to the board edge and although both scattered neither misshaped. Fate weaver also landed in the back corner behind my lines, however neither flamer units were inside his 6” bubble. At this point the space that Steven had been using to land his units in was filling up, so he  chose to land his remaining Flamer unit and two Daemon Princes  in front of the army on one flank. Personally I think this landing pattern was a mistake as it meant Fateweaver could only get to the two Flamer units with his bubble, this was actually made worse when Fateweaver didn’t move up, meaning that none of the Daemons were in his reroll bubble.  During the firing phase one unit of Flamers burnt out the Biovores unit at the back of my deployment, not only scoring first blood, but also a bonus point for killing a heavy support unit. The other Flamer units opened up on Gaunt units causing several wounds but not destroying whole units.


Turn two and I rolled for reserves, despite needing 2+ with a reroll my Warlord still didn’t turn up, but the rest of the reserves rolled on. The Doom, Devourers and Tyrant all headed for the Daemon Princes and Flamers on my Flank. Meanwhile the various Gaunt and Gargoyles turned their attention to the Flamer which had landed behind my lines. Given they fire when they landed they we still tightly packed together which played well into the large blast templates from the Tervigons. The combined fire on these two units reduced them to a single model in one unit and 3 Flamers in another. It was the Daemon Princes which suffered worse. The Doom’s leech essence took wounds of all three units due to some horrific leaderships tests by Steven, then the Spore Pods fired and not only took off another wound from one Prince but downed him, killing him with the Str9 crash test. The other Daemon Prince was fired on by the Flying Tyrant and again was badly wounded, failed his grounding test and face planted into the board killing him. This left the Devourer armed Gaunts free to finish off the remaining Flamers with their 45 Str4 shots.  In my assault phase 3 packs of Gaunts charge the three flamers (one taking a number of hits from overwatch), whilst the Gargoyles charged the solo flamer. In the combat the solo Flamer was killed by the Gargoyles, and the other combat ground on. Steven’s turn two must have been an odd position for a Daemon player, almost his entire first wave had been wiped out and he only started with Fateweaver and thee flamers locked in combat. From his reserves Steven got his last Daemon Prince, a unit of horrors and both Plague bearers.  The Plague bearers dropped at the other end of the board well away from my battle lines, however the Daemon Prince tried to land closer, scattered and was place next to the Doom. The Horrors dropped a little close to my battle lines near an objective being guarded by a Gaunts squad. Fateweaver l flew over my battle line and managed to land in a small gap, near my Tervigon. Firing phase was fairly quick with only the Horrors being in Range, they shot and killed a number of Gaunts who were hiding in area terrain. Fateweaver fired and managed to turn my Tervigon into a spawn on a 6 Grrr, a number of my Gaunt squads lost models to the Tervigon’s death.

Turn three and the warlord arrived from reserve and headed towards Fateweaver. I made on critical mistake and landed him within 6” of the daemon.  The remaining units shuffled around a bit and headed further into the board.  Firing phase and the Doom, Devourer Gaunts and Spores managed to shoot down and kill his last remaining Daemon Prince. Fateweaver was fire on by Gaunts and the Warlord and although he didn’t take any wounds, he was grounded, so was immediately pounced on by the Gaunts to lock him in combat. Steven’s turn saw the arrival of his remaining reserves. The two units of Horrors drop at the back of my deployment zone to threaten the rear objectives, whilst the last plague bearers joined their brother at the other end of the board.  Fateweaver tried to spawn my Tyrant, but because he was locked in combat on the ground couldn’t declare skyfire and hence missed. The Horrors fired at the sea of Gaunts which were around them and killed off a few more.

Turn four, the Doom and both Tyrants head as quickly as possible down the board to take on the Plague Bearers, the Gargoyles headed towards Fateweaver to reinforce the single Gaunt his was still locked in combat with. Firing and the Gaunts and Tergivon fired on the Horrors killing half a unit, they were then assaulted. FateWeaver started taking wounds from the Gargoyles but past his Leadership test, whilst the Plague Bearers came under fire from the Tyrant and the Doom manifesting psychic scream.  Steven turn was quick as he was rapidly running out of models. The Plague Bearers scrambled to get away from the Doom, whilst staying close to the objective. Fateweaver finally fell to the Gargoyles in combat, freeing them up to concentrate on the Horrors. Also the two packs of Gaunts which had been locked in combat with the Flamers since turn one finally finished them off and also headed for the Horrors.

Turn Five and I was looking to finish off the daemons. Three packs of Gaunts and the remaining Gargoyles head towards the Horrors, whilst the Tyrants and Doom picked on the Plague Bearers. Firing and the Horrors were shot up and then charged. In combat the squads were wiped out by the Gaunt swarm. The Tyrants and Doom managed to whittle the Plagues Bearers down a single models and another unit of two. For Steven’s go he just moved the Plague Bearers close to the objective and hoped the game would end. Sadly it didn’t.

Turn Six and the Tyrants swooped in a killed off the last Plague Bearers finishing off the last Daemons on the board.  I had managed my third tabling of the tournament and against Daemons to boot. I do think Steven’s decision where to land his first waves was the crucial moment, by having none of his units within Fateweavers bubble it meant the Tyranid’s torrent of fire were able to overwhelm the relatively poor saves the Daemons have.

No comments:

Post a Comment