Saturday, 27 April 2013

Adepticon Post 1 (not sure how many I'll span this over)

So last weekend it was Adepticon in Chicago.The biggest tournament in the states and a lot bigger than ones you see in the UK. There were two main 40k tournament that weekend, a singles one and a four man team affair. I was lucky enough to get into both tournaments, the team tournament I was with three other people on the Geek Nation Tours.

Whilst on that subject I do recommend Geek Nation Tours, probably a little more expensive than if you sorted everything out yourself, but a lot less hassle and you get some nice extras too. The main one being exclusive access to the shopping cart two week prior to general release. Let me put it another way, tickets went on public sale around midnight UK time and the singles sold out in six hours, the team tournament in something like four hours. Without the earlier access its very unlikely someone in the UK gets a ticket unless they stay up real late or are lucky. Added to that is a number of organised trips to various restaurants, plus a lovely geek nation bowling shirt and Teras (your host) to answer any questions.  Overall it made the whole trip a lot more relaxed and enjoyable.

Anyway back to the write ups. I'll start off with the singles event. The US operate quire a weird system. There is four games played on day one, then the top 16 generals battle it out on day two. I'm not sure this format would work outside of a convention, since I doubt many people would pay to enter an event where the vast majority of the players will only play on one of the two days. It works in Adepticon since you can spend the second day playing in one of the other tournaments or just visit all the vendors (like I did). Four games in a single day is long, it's 10hrs of gaming before you add in any breaks for meals. It didn't help that the weather leading up to the start was terrible and so registration took a lot longer than I think they'd planned for, so instead of starting at 9am as advertised Game one didn't start until 10.30, it was gonna be a long day.

Now you should all know which army I was taking. The Tyranids have been my only army for the first half of the year and they were going on tour to the US. The bugs actually travelled quite well. They did end up being checking into the aircraft hold as AA wouldn't allow the bag as carry on, but there were only a couple of minor repairs required at the other end.

The list is used was a fairly standard affair, pretty much what you'd expect from the bugs in the current meta.

HQ1: Hive Tyrant (170), Wings (60) 2x Twin linked Devourers (30), Hive Commander (25)  
HQ2: Hive Tyrant (170), Wings (60) 2x Twin linked Devourers (30), Old Adversary (25)    
Elite1: 3 Hive Guard (150)  
Elite2: 2 Zoanthrope (120) 
Elite3: DOOM! of Malan'tai (90) + TRANSPORT1 
Troop1: Tervigon (160), Toxin Sacs (10), Adrenal Glands (10), Catalyst (15), Onslaught (15)  
Troop 2 : Tervigon (160), Toxin Sacs (10), Adrenal Glands (10), Catalyst (15), Onslaught (15) 
Troop 3 : 17 Termagants (85), Devourers (85) + TRANSPORT2 
Troop 4 : 10 Termagants (50)   
Troop 5 : 10 Termagants (50)  
FA1: 15 Gargoyles (90), Toxin Sacs (15)  
Heavy1: Biovores (45)  
Transport1 : Mycetic Spore (40)  
Transport2 : Mycetic Spore (40)


Heavy on the psychic powers and T6 creatures. With a lot of Str4 firepower from devourers and fleshborers, and here they are on their lovely display base (you got extra points in the painting section for having a display board, so I figured I may as well get one).





There were 232 people playing in the singles tournament (and that makes for a large room full of gamers the photo to the left is only half the hall we were in), so to keep in running with my blog I was looking to finish between 100 - 150 for mid table obsurity, higher would be nicer but there was a fair amount of soft scores for painting, and unlike a lot of UK tournaments there was a fairly strict scoring system for it, I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere near to top marks on it and in the end came away with 23 / 40 for appearance.

I think if I start to go over my games this will begin to get a long blog so I'll sign off this entry now and post game one tomorrow. Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment