Thursday, 16 January 2014

Caledonia 2014 pre-post



So this weekend it's Caledonia Uprising 2014 and I'm going into it with mixed emotions. I have, of late, lost a lot of my 40k mojo and enjoyment, there are several factors which have contributed to this however one aspect of is it is the meta. It seems that if you want to win 40k you take Tau / Eldar. So it is with some trepidation that I approach Caledonia. Having seen the army lists for this year its a prettysad state of affairs with about 3-4 builds making up at least 30% of the field if not more. I'm hoping it won't spoil my weekend and my aim to win at least 3 games.

I'm actually taking part in a mini event inside the main tournament too, Highlander. 24 players are taking armies which only feature units once (or at least they can't double up until they got on type of everything with the slot). My army is based on my marines running Ultramarine chapter tactics. One thing I'm terrible at is remember chapter tactics, orbital bombardment and Tig's warlord trait. But basically my army is ;-

PRIMARY DETACHMENT: Space Marines (Ultramarine Chapter Tactics)

HQ1 : Chapter Master (130), Bike (20), The Shield Eternal (50), Thunderhammer (30), Artificer Armour (20) - [250pts]
HQ2 : Chief Librarian Tigurius (165) - [165pts]
HQ2a : Command Squad (100), Bikes (35), 4 x Grav Guns (60), Apothacary (15) - [210pts]
Troop 1 : 6 Tactical Space Marines (84), Plasma Gun (15), TRANSPORT1 - [99pts]
Troop 2 : 5 Space Marine Bikes (105), 2 x Grav Guns (30), Attack Bike (45), Multi-Melta (10) - [190pts]
Troop 3 : 5 Space Marines Scouts (55), Sergeant Telion (50), 4 Sniper Rilfes (4) - [109pts]
FA1: Storm Talon (110), Sky Hammer Missiles (15) – [125pts]
HS1: Stalker (75) – [75pts]
HS2: Thunderfire Cannon (100) – [100pts]
Transport1 : Rhino(35) – [35pts]

ALLIED DETACHMENT: Space Wolves
HQ1 : Rune Priest (100), Bike(35), Meltabombs (5) – [140pts]
Troop 1 : 10 Grey Hunters (150), Meltagun (5), Meltagun (free), Wolf Standard (10), TRANSPORT2 – [165pts]
Transport2 : Drop Pod (35) – [35pts]

FORTIFICATION: Aegis Defense Wall (50), Iccarus Las Cannon (35) – [85pts]

CODEX INQUISITOR: Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (25), 3 Servo Skulls (9), Lvl1 Psyker (30) – [64pts]


I've had a few games with it and its not fair that well, and seeing some of the other Highlander lists I do worry, there's a lot of Daemon player in the Highlander it seems.  Caledonia pre-draws its first rounds so I know my oppoent and his army list, I'm facing ;-

 Neil Gibbons
DESCRIPTION : Chaos Space Marines Allied with Chaos Daemons
HQ 1 : Chaos Lord, 175 pts = (base cost 65 + Mark of Nurgle 15 + Melta Bombs 5 + Power Sword x1 15 + Sigil
of Corruption 25) + Chaos Bike 20 1 Burning Brand of Skalathrax, 30 pts
Troops 1 : Plague Marines (9#, 251 pts) 8 Plague Marines, 212 pts = 8 * 24 (base cost 24) + Meltagun x2 20,
1 Plague Champion, 39 pts = (base cost 24 + Power Sword x1 15)
Troops 2 : Chaos Cultists (10#, 70 pts) 9 Chaos Cultists, 54 pts = 9 * 6 (base cost 4 + Mark of Nurgle 2) 1
Cultist Champion, 16 pts = (base cost 14 + Mark of Nurgle 2)
Fast Attack 1 : Chaos Spawn (5#, 180 pts) 5 Chaos Spawn, 180 pts = 5 * 36 (base cost 30 + Mark of Nurgle 6)
Fast Attack 2 : Heldrake (1#, 170 pts)
Heavy Support 1 : Obliterator (3#, 228 pts) 3 Obliterator, 228 pts = 3 * 76 (base cost 70 + Mark of Nurgle 6)
Heavy Support 2 : Chaos Vindicator (1#, 145 pts) 1 Chaos Vindicator, 145 pts = (base cost 120 + Extra
Armour 10 + Siege Shield 10 + Combi-Bolter 5)
FORTIFICATION
Aegis Defence Line (100 pts) 1 Aegis Defence Lines, 50 pts 1 Gun Emplacement, 50 pts
ALLIED DETACHMENT
HQ 1 : Ku'gath Plaguefather (1#, 260 pts)
Heavy Support 1 : Soul Grinder (1#, 180 pts) (base cost 135) + Phlegm Bombardment 30 + Daemon of
Nurgle 15
Troops 1 : Plaguebearers of Nurgle (10#, 90 pts) 10 Plaguebearers of Nurgle (Troops) [cd], 90 pts = 10 * 9

So the massed forces of Nurgle, plenty of cover save enhanced units and AP3 weapons, so this is gonna be a struggle, plus Neil is an ex ETC player so overall a really tough match.

If i had to guess his battle plan, I'd go with.

Plaguefather in deepstrike reserve. plaguebearers walk on reserve, Soulgrinder on the board to start the firing. Lord on bike with Spawn crossing the board. Vindactor, Oblits hanging out behind the wall for fire support. Cultists are obviosuly in reserve and Plague amarine could be either. 

Provided it survives I've got a number of options to take out the Helldrake, but probably not before its destroyed on of the bike units when it arrives. Drop wolves can take one of the two vehicles, it's actually the spawn that worry me. High toughness and immune to grav given they've no armour I'm not sure how I'm going to beat those down.  

Well I'm sure the next post will be post Caledonia and we'll see if I called it right and if I managed my 3 wins. Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

  1. If you can manage it, try to get your CM into combat by himself with the Lord and Spawn. He has to challenge, and if you're getting the charge then you can issue one as well, reducing the spawn to spectators and you get to laugh off his Power Sword while mashing his face with a Hammer.

    In order to actually win the game though, it's probably best to focus on one or two of his Troops and try to wipe them out entirely and ignore the others. If I had to pick targets I'd go for taking out the Plague Marines and Cultists, but it does look to be a tough matchup. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete