Friday, 21 March 2014

Last minute undecision


I'm suffering some last minute indecision around my 1850 Adepticon singles army. Although I'm not planning on changing the codices I'm using I am debating mixing up the army list. My original thoughts were ;-

Primary Detachtment - White Scars
Kor'sarro Khan on Moondraken  - 150pts
Chapter Master with The Shield Eternal, Thunderhammer, Artificer Armour, Bike & Auspex - 255pts
Command Squad with Bikes, 4 x Grav Guns, 2 x Storm Shields, Apothacary - 230pts
10 Tactical Marines with Meltagun, Multi-Melta, Combi-Melta in a Rhino - 205pts
10 Tactical Marines with Plasmagun in a Rhino - 190pts
Stalker - 75pts
Thunderfire Cannon - 100pts
StormTalon Gunship with Skyhammer Missiles - 125pts

Allied Detachtment - Space Wolves
Wolf Lord with Bike, Runic Armour, Storm Shield, Power Fist, Saga of the Bear, 2 Fenrisian Wolves - 265pts
Rune Priest with Bike, Runic Armour - 155pts
5 Grey Hunters - 75pts

It relies fairly heavily on the weight of the one super unit with the four ICs in with the command squad. If that unit can be countered the rest of the army don't have a whole lot of punch. I'm not very impressed with the Stalker, its never really earnt its points in any of my practise games.


The idea I'm considering is ;-

Primary Detachtment - White Scars
Kor'sarro Khan on Moondraken  - 150pts
Chapter Master with The Shield Eternal, Thunderhammer, Artificer Armour, Bike & Auspex - 255pts
Command Squad with Bikes, 4 x Grav Guns, 2 x Storm Shields, Apothacary - 230pts
10 Tactical Marines with Meltagun, Combi-Melta in a Rhino - 195pts
5 Space Marines Bike, 2 x Grav Guns, Melta Bombs - 140pts
5 Space Marines Bike, 2 x Grav Guns, Melta Bombs - 140pts
Thunderfire Cannon - 100pts
Thunderfire Cannon - 100pts
StormTalon Gunship with Skyhammer Missiles - 125pts
StormTalon Gunship with Skyhammer Missiles - 125pts

Allied Detachtment - Space Wolves
Rune Priest with Bike, Runic Armour - 155pts
7 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Wolf Standard - 120pts

So I've removed the stalker (it hasn't performed in any matches yet) and the Wolf Lord. Added in a second thunderfire which give better opportunities against units using a tank out front, such as beast packs and a 2nd storm talon as this maintain my air defence but works better against low or no flyer opponents. Swapping the Marines in rhino for two bike squad maintains my troop units but the bikes have a better damage output. One 5 man effectively replaces 2 melta for 2 grav, whilst the other has as many bolters but now twin linked and 2 grav guns.

So the death star is a little weakened by the loss of the 2nd beat stick but is it a good swap. The old deathstar unit was good but if you could neutralise it (by killing or avoiding) I lost. This way it's still a threat but there are more options and threats to deal with.

So people what do you think? Help me out, which is better or do you have another suggestion?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Morrbane. I agree, I think the second list is better. I'm interested to know how you're planning on using the hunters and tacticals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most just as objective grabbers. The Tactical squad will likely split down and both melta will outflank in the rhino to take on vehicles near edges. The remaining 5 man and hunters will more than like arrive from my board edge. I may be a little more aggressive with the hunters in games I think they can do some CC damage as they're a little more tooled up.

      Delete
    2. Groovy, thought it might be that. Do you find that the two extra hunters and banner are useful every game? Those 40pts could buy you a transport for a bit of added mobility? Just a thought!

      Delete
    3. The problem is that reducing the unit down to 5 man and then giving it a drop pod or rhino means where they get to their target they don't have the punch to deal with stuff. If I could maintain the 7 with a drop pod I would.

      Delete
  2. I think the 2nd list is best too. I run the Ravenwing command squad and buffing them with re-rolls from the Librarian makes them hit very hard in their assault moves.

    As Bikes are a low model count army the re-rolls will help maximize the hitting power of the Grav guns, also found you get more precision strikes with your characters in combat which can help.

    ReplyDelete