Sunday, 25 May 2014

New Directions

 
No, not a blog about Glee!

Since returning from Adepticon I've had quite the journey in terms of my war gaming. It started off with the Yorkshire Open, a tournament with heats, semi finals and a final. Now personally I don't think we need all the rounds. No event seemed to have more than about 16 people at it and it could probably have all been done in a single event rather than the complicated way it was. It was also totally unrestricted in rules, so escalation and stronghold assault were allowed, also add into the mix Knight Titans too and it was a trial by fire. Personally speaking I think that Lords of War have no place in regular 40k and although I didn't face one in my heat, semi or final I did see the evidence of them, especially the final where there were a few. Having said that I did get to know a few of the Leeds Night Owls members and they were pretty cool to hang out with and play against at the various events. In the end I think I managed 6th in the final (out of about 12) so once again, mid table obscurity. 

However that all changes yesterday with the release of 7th edition. Now this has been a very fast release of a new edition and buy and large it is only tweaks here and there to the system. They've changed how psychic power work and actually made it a little harder to cast powers. However they didn't really address the battle brother issue, only removing Tau from the mix by taking away most of their battle brothers. Eldar / Dark Eldar as still best buddies so the beast-stars and wave serpent spams will continue to dominate the scene. I've lost a lot of my 40k mojo of late, I haven't been to a "top end" tournament since Caledonia and didn't really enjoy the field of competition at that one much. So I'm not sure if 7th edition is going to change that.

That said I am getting into 30k. I'm building an army along side a couple of the Garrison guys. One of the main things we're doing is being very open on the models we're buying and what we plan to use. So hopefully this more narrative approach means we won't face an army we can't handle.

My choice for a 30k army goes back to faviourite army and chapter which I was playing for a long time, until GW totally ruined their codex and took all the character from the army. So I'm building an Iron Warrior 30k force.

So far we've only got 30 troops and some HQ figures, but I hope to add the usual big guns and tanks which characterise the Iron Warriors best.



Next up on my wargaming experience is a totally new game, Malifaux. I decided to branch out into a none GW game just prior to the drop of 7th edition and after a couple of failed attempts at games which just had no one around here playing, I chose Malifaux.

Only played a few games at the moment and still very much learning the rules, etc. but it seems fun. Under the advice that pretty much all the factions and masters are balanced I opted to go for the faction that were visually appealing to me......  Ninja's of course. So I've picked up a few of the Ten Thunders box sets and I've been painting ninja and oriental types all weekend, whilst watching two different films called Ninja as well as 47 Ronin and the Last Samurai!!

Malifaux has some interesting twist on the usual game mechanics and I might go into a more detailed first impressions blog later on, but in one moment of blind madness I've just gone and bought a ticket to the Malifaux GT in November, so I'd better learn the rules and get some practise in.





1 comment:

  1. Hey Pete, I've nominated you for a Liebster award! http://whoistheodoreus.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete